Congratulations to all our Squadron Youth sailors on fantastic results at the Sail Sydney event last week!
- Nacra15 - Will Cooley 1st
- 29er - Max PAUL 1st, Mina FERGUSON & Evie HASELDINE 22nd
- Bic Techno - Vaughan O'SHEA 8th & Paul DAVISON 10th
- Mirror - Campbell MCKAY & Stirling MCKAY 1st Overall
- Laser Radial Open - Campbell Paton 6th, Maddie O’Shea 7th, Zac West 8th, Sylvie Stannage 11th, Boston Cortis 14th, Jack Ferguson 16th, Mark Louis 17th, Evie Saunders 22nd, Brooke Wilson 24th, Charlie Smith 27th
- Laser 4.7 - Zac West 1st, Mark Louis 2nd, Brooke Wilson 3rd, Daniel Costandi 4th, Evie Saunders 5th, Aris Dimitracopoulos 7th, Charlie Smith 16th, Ian Louis 20th
- Laser Standard - Finn ALEXANDER 7th, Oskar Hansen 19th
- International 420 - Ryan LITTLECHILD & Jack FERGUSON 2nd, Gretel PAYNE 8th
- International 470 Women - Katherine SHANNON 3rd
- International 470 Men - Will RYAN 1st
- Optimist Open - Oliver McLachlan 2nd, Louis Tilly 3rd, Isobel Payne 4th, Douglas Cassidy 5th, Benedict McKay 6th, Harriet McLachlan 7th, Hannah Cassidy 8th
- Optimist Intermediate - Connor Warner 1st, Thomas Flannery 4th
- Optimist Green - Viraj Gupta 1st, Ben Tattersal 3rd, Vidhi Gupta 4th, Raphael McLachlan 5th, Anton Robinson 6th, Alexa Morgan 7th, Patrick McLachlan 8th, Nick Keleher 10th.
RSYS was a partner club for Sail Sydney 2018. The event was sailed from 4 to 9 December and involved more than 430 sailors across 22 classes. RSYS had almost 50 Members competing and was responsible for Course Area D, providing race management and resources which included our race committee vessel Mischief (pictured above), a mark laying boat and two safety boats. Depending on conditions on the day, Course Area D extended from Nielsen Park up to North Head.
The classes racing on Course Area D over the six day event were: Nacra 17, 49er, 49er FX, Nacra 15 and the 29er. The 29ers were the biggest fleet in the regatta with 36 boats competing.
Conditions were challenging for the race management crew - there was a large outgoing tide and they had to keep the sailors safe within the Harbour, busy with large ship movements and the Manly ferry.
RSYS On Water Co-ordinator Rob Ridley oversaw the team; Geoff Clarke worked on Peri, the mark laying boat, and our Sailing Manager Declan Brennan and our Youth & Training Co-ordinator Locky Pryor helped with a safety boat for a few days. Thanks to our Member volunteers: Charlotte Alexander, Charlotte Grey, Geoff Davison, Mitch Evans, Riley Evans, Bill Fleming, Madi Kornman, Sara Ladd, Peter Magraith, Phil Maloney, Zac Quinlan, Nick Rozenauers, Kiera Early and Kylie Wilson.
Special thanks to volunteers Geoff and Karyn who also provided their personal boats as safety boats.
Sail Sydney is run by Australian Sailing and hosted out of Woollahra Sailing Club. Other clubs that help make the event possible providing Race Management teams for course areas included Middle Harbour Yacht Club and Drummoyne Sailing Club..
If you would like to get involved with volunteering at RSYS, learn more about race management and supporting regattas such as this please contact us at email@example.com.